Friday, February 26, 2010

GET UP AND GO!


There are time when your get up and go - goes. At these times these bars are the thing to have to hand.
They keep for ages in a tin, are relatively healthy - all the nuts and seeds are even better for you than vegetables (heard it on the radio so it must be true!)
They make a great breakfast or lunch on the run. Kids love them with a hot chocolate when they get in from school. I find them the perfect food to take when travelling - so much better then airline food.
Nigella Lawson provided the inspiration for these health(ish) bars - the real light bulb ingredient is the condensed milk. I have played around with many flap jack type recipes, faffing around with sugar, golden syrup, honey to name a few, but the condensed milk is a revelation, it binds the mixture perfectly, tastily and includes calcium!
YUMMY HEALTH BARS
1 can of condensed milk (I use the light version when I can get it)
250g porridge oats
125g hazelnuts
50g almonds
75g sunflower seeds
100g dried fruit (I love sour cherries)
Line a 23cm x 33cm baking tin with baking parchment
Preheat oven to 130 C
Warm the condensed milk in the microwave or a saucepan.
Mix all the other ingredients in a large bowl, add the condensed milk. Spread this mixture in the lined tin, get it as even as possible.
Bake for one hour, when you remove it from the oven allow to cool for about 20 minutes, and then cut to the size you like.
Enjoy.
Based of Nigella Lawson's Breakfast Bars

2 comments:

Natalya said...

Hi, your blog looks nice to me. Congratulations with opening it !
I made these lovely bars for Nigella Cookalong challenge. I loved them so much.
I have also a blog of mine: http://natalya-cooking.blogspot.com/
Best wishes
Vishinka from Nigella’s forum or simply Natalya (that's my real name)

Brownieville Girl said...

Thanks for the kind comments Natalya, I've become a follower to your blog:-}